Saturday, March 26, 2011

Blog Post # 8: A Visual Investigation of the Arctic Ocean


       I have always looked at maps and seen the Arctic Ocean as a gigantic space in between Canada and Russia. Whenever we see maps that are flat the Arctic Ocean is cut off and we are led to believe that there is this great expanse above Canada and Russia that parts the two countries. In this image one can clearly see how close the northernmost tip of Greenland is to the coastline of Norway. Viewing the Arctic Ocean from this perspective blows my mind because that makes me wonder how skewed my mental map of the world is. Taking a look at an area of the world like the Arctic Ocean makes me wonder if teachers should use flat maps a lot less and rounded globe-like maps a lot more.

No comments:

Post a Comment