Sunday, April 17, 2011

Blog Post # 11: FIFA, "Asia", and World Cup Qualification


Asian Football Confederation (full size image is better!)

             The map above is how FIFA, the governing body of soccer, divides up the “Asian” region of the world. I have had many arguments with my soccer buddies about how to divide up the world, but this region always draws the most criticism from all sides. Personally, I think that FIFA should divide up the region into the Asian and Middle East regions with the dividing line being Pakistan and India (for political reasons). I think that there are way too many nations for the region to only get 4.5 qualification spots. I know the book, and most of the rest of the world, divide up the world into the regions we studied throughout the semester, but my mental maps are based on how FIFA divides up the world. As of now I have a discrepancy with FIFA’s “Asia”, but I guess I will have to complain, moan, and cry to FIFA until they take charge and change it themselves. That is how it works right?

Side note: There is an Oceania region, but somehow Australia got itself grouped with Asia instead...I still have no idea how that played itself out.

No comments:

Post a Comment